ANVIL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121698

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: ANVIL HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ANVIL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121698 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:58:53.

Location

Statutory Address: ANVIL HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brignall

National Grid Reference: NZ 06831 12232

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 01 SE BRIGNALL BRIGNALL VILLAGE (South side)

6/82 Anvil House

GV II

Schoolroom with master's house attached, now private house. Later C18. Coursed rubble with horizontally-tooled quoins and dressings; stone slate roof. North elevation in two sections: Right part is master's house, a gabled 2-storey bay with false 4-pane window on ground floor, 12-pane Yorkshire sash above and coped gable; stepped-and-banded lateral stack on left return; outshut on right has renewed window in old opening. Single-storey 2-bay schoolroom to left has pent porch in right bay, with renewed door on left return; and 4-pane sash at left. Coped left gable. Left return shows stepped projecting stack.

Rear elevation: house has French window,with renewed window in old opening above; schoolroom two 4-pane sashes.

The school was in existence in 1794, and continued in use until 1866.

Included for historical interest.

Listing NGR: NZ0683112232

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111671

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing