FORMER METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121727

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: FORMER METHODIST CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121727 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 03:13:00.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER METHODIST CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Barningham

National Grid Reference: NZ 08302 10254

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 0810 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM VILLAGE (South side)

15/54 Former Methodist Chapel

GV II



Methodist Chapel dated 1815, converted to house c.1980. Coursed rubble with roughly-shaped quoins and tooled ashlar dressings; stone slate roof. Gabled front to street. Railings with foliate heads and moulded standards, and similar double gates, enclose double flight of steps up to central panelled double doors under pointed arch. Moulded tablet above with 'WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL' and date, between tall lancet windows with renewed glazing. All openings in raised chamfered surrounds. Coped gable on moulded kneelers; small round opening in apex. Each return shows two 2-light windows with wooden Y-tracery; in addition there are several blocked openings on the right return. Small stack at apex of rear gable.

Interior altered.

The building is said to have been a barn prior to its conversion to a chapel; however the architectural features could be explained by mid-C19 remodelling of the 1815 chapel commemorated by datestone.

Listing NGR: NZ0830210254

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111643

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing