STAINDROP HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121755

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: STAINDROP HALL, 20, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STAINDROP HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121755 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 15:22:30.

Location

Statutory Address: STAINDROP HALL, 20, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Staindrop

National Grid Reference: NZ 13016 20601

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAINDROP FRONT STREET NZ 1220 and NZ 1320 (South side) 17/138 and 18/138 No. 20 14/9/66 (Staindrop Hall)

GV II

House. Late C16/early C17 with C18 additions and alterations. Rendered with painted ashlar dressings; roofs synthetic stone slates and graduated Lakeland slates; ashlar and brick chimneys. H-plan original house with C18 east addition and smaller west addition. North elevation to road: 2 and 3 storeys, 9 bays, with one-storey, 3-bay right addition. 3-storey, 3-bay first build with one-storey set-back wings; left wing altered to 2 storeys and set-back 2-storey, 4-bay second build added. First build has 2-light ground-floor windows in outer bays, central 3-light windows above, and 2-light in right return, all with rebated chamfered stone mullions and those on upper floors with label moulds; right wing has similar 3-light windows on upper floors. Left wing has broad glazing bars and architraves to 6-pane light inserted in blocked door and 12-pane sash above. C18 left addition has step up to 6-panel door and tall 3-pane overlight in architrave in third bay, flanked by left inserted sash and right quartered round window; sashes with glazing bars and architraves on first floor in third and fourth bays. Right addition has central sash and small light at right. Continuous eaves to 2-and 3-storey parts. Hipped roofs with end and ridge banded chimneys. South elevation to garden shows first build with inserted ground-floor door and windows; label moulds over 3-light windows on upper floors, and with mullions removed in projecting left wing. Symmetrical C18 build projects at right, with canted central projection; varied glazing in original openings. One-storey west addition has inserted garage doors at left, and tripartite sashes with glazing bars in other bays.

Interior partly inspected: ground floor of first build has moulded plastered beams; large painted stucco coat of arms, with scallop in each quarter, on ceiling in front of fire, and scallop on corbel over fire; C18 cupboard with patterned glazing bars; closed-well stair in rear wing. C18 addition has dogleg stair with ramped grip handrail on column balusters and block tread ends; high quality stucco ceiling decoration with dentilled cornice in one and medallioned cornice in the other principal rooms. Carved C18 chimney piece brought from Gainford.

Listing NGR: NZ1299720596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111503

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing