THE RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121832

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: THE RECTORY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121832 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 19:04:49.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RECTORY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Etherley

National Grid Reference: NZ 16374 28419

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ETHERLEY CHURCH STREET NZ 12 NE (West side, off) High Etherley 5/10 The Rectory

GV II

Rectory. Dated 1834, probably by Ramshaw; rear additions of 1882 incorporate fragments of C18 house. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Irregular plan. Tudor style. Main front 2 storeys, 3 bays; steps up to central renewed door and inserted overlight in Tudor-arched surround with wide, stopped chamfer; Tudor lettering 18 T 34 in moulded panel under floating cornice; 2-light window above, and 3-light windows in outer bays, have recessed chamfers, stone mullions, floating cornices; narrow sashes, most with glazing bars removed. Central bay projects slightly under crow-stepped gable with gable string. Roof gable copings rest on moulded kneelers; end chimneys with plinths and cornices have 2-centred arches between conjoined flues; similar chimneys on rear wing ridges. Interior shows moulded stucco ceiling cornices to principal rooms; 6-panel doors in architraves; re-used 2-panel door to cellar.

The 'T' in the date panel perhaps refers to Bishop Thorpe, a patron of the church.

Most of the cost was met by the vicar, George Watson.

Source: P. Kilminster Etherley Parish Church St. Cuthbert, 1982.

Listing NGR: NZ1637428419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111375

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kilminster, P , Etherley Parish Church St Cuthbert, (1982)

End of official listing