This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

1, 2 AND 3, HUTCHINSON TERRACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 1, 2 AND 3, HUTCHINSON TERRACE

List entry Number: 1121855

Location

1, 2 AND 3, HUTCHINSON TERRACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Romaldkirk

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 111329

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROMALDKIRK HUTCHINSON TERRACE NY 9922 29/157 Nos. 1, 2 and 3 GV II Former almshouse now 3 dwellings. Founded 1674 by William Hutchinson and competely rebuilt in 1829. Tooled-and-margined, dressed sandstone; graduated green slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. Shallow T-plan. Tudor style.

One storey. Symmetrical front with projecting pedimented 2-bay centre (No. 2) and flanking 4-bay wings (Nos. 1 and 3). Centre has 2 replaced casements in original openings under hoodmoulds to front; identical window to left return; partly-glazed door in slightly-projecting stone porch on right return; raised shield in tympanum inscribed:

These Almshouses founded by Wm. Hutchinson Of Clement's Inn London 1674 were rebuilt 1829

Wings have partly-glazed 4-panel doors and identical windows under continuous hoodmoulds. Continuous eaves cornice. Roof has coped gables and is hipped at junction with centre. Octagonal-plan, corniced end and 4 ridge stacks.

Rear of No. 2 has re-set plaque (from original almshouse) inscribed: W.H. 1674.

Listing NGR: NY9944322297

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 99451 22299

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121855 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 10:43:32.

End of official listing