GOSFORTH HOUSE, NOW BRANDLING HOUSE, PART OF HIGH GOSFORTH PARK CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1121859

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: GOSFORTH HOUSE, NOW BRANDLING HOUSE, PART OF HIGH GOSFORTH PARK CLUB, B 1318

Map

Ordnance survey map of GOSFORTH HOUSE, NOW BRANDLING HOUSE, PART OF HIGH GOSFORTH PARK CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121859 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 10:55:21.

Location

Statutory Address: GOSFORTH HOUSE, NOW BRANDLING HOUSE, PART OF HIGH GOSFORTH PARK CLUB, B 1318

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: North Gosforth

National Grid Reference: NZ 24851 71251

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 27 SW NORTH GOSFORTH B1318 (east side) Gosforth Park 4/53 27 August 1952 Gosforth House, now Brandling House, part of High Gosforth Park Club. G.V. II* Country house, now part of club and grandstand. 1755-64 by James Paine for Charles and Elizabeth Brandling. 1881 conversion to racecourse club and grandstand for High Gosforth Park Co. Ltd. 1921 restoration. Sandstone ashlar with plinth; felt-covered graduated slate roof. 3 storeys, 7 bays and one-storey links to wings. Palladian style with rusticated ground storey. Central 3 bays, projecting slightly under open pediment, contain 3 glazed C20 doors with overlights; doors also in flanking bays. Set- back outer bays contain sashes. Central and end first floor windows with chambranle architraves, blind balustrades and segmental pediments, the central one bracketed. Plain reveals to intermediate and to all second floor windows; all sashes with glazing bars. Dentilled eaves cornice and pediment; central floating cornice. One-storey extruded links, with rainwater heads dated 1867, have plinths, sash windows, mostly blocked, eaves band and blocking course; C20 century doors inserted in left link. 5-bay south front: on ground floor, arched niches alternate with blocked openings; on piano nobile, 5 windows with aedicule treatment under pediments, the outer segmental and the central round. Source: Paine Plans and Elevations 1767 Vol. I p. 15: E. Mackenzie, View of Northumberland 2nd. ed. Newcastle 1825, p.471.

Listing NGR: NZ2485171251

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304973

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mackenzie, E , View of the County of Northumberland, (1825), 471
Paine, J , Plans Elevations and Sections of Noblemen and Gentlemen's Houses (1761), (1767), 15

End of official listing