THE COLONNADE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121863

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: THE COLONNADE, 1-8, RYE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COLONNADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121863 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 12:25:50.

Location

Statutory Address: THE COLONNADE, 1-8, RYE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Hawkhurst

National Grid Reference: TQ 76079 30574

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAWKHURST RYE ROAD TQ 7630-7730 (north side) Highgate 17/400 The Colonnade, Nos 1-8 20.6.67 GV II Shop row. Early C19. Timber framed and weather-boarded with slate roofs, fronted by colonnade on cast iron columns. Five blocks, the 2nd and 4th projecting and taller, all with separately hipped roofs, and stacks to rear. Each block with 3 glazing bar sashes on first floor, except end right which has 4, the end 2 with single leaf louvred shutters. Plate glass shop fronts throughout ground floor, for the most part preserving the original beaded and moulded surrounds to both window frames and door surrounds, with some original panelled doors with chinoi-serie-traceried rectangular fanlights. Only the mid C20 front to Baldocks Bakers is grossly out of keeping. Colonnade of fluted iron columns supporting flat roof with blind hoods and boxes. Return elevations with glazing bar sashes and single storey extension to left return with tripartite glazing bar sash and panelled door. The Hawkhurst Pharmacy (No 11) was founded 1830; the site construction may have begun c.1793 (see Lewis Waghorn, Hawkhurst Scrapbook).

Listing NGR: TQ7607930574

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 169750

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Waghorn, L H, Hawkhurst Memoirs, (1982)

End of official listing