WALLS AND TURRETS NORTH WEST, WEST AND SOUTH WEST OF BECKINGHAM HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121866

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: WALLS AND TURRETS NORTH WEST, WEST AND SOUTH WEST OF BECKINGHAM HALL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS AND TURRETS NORTH WEST, WEST AND SOUTH WEST OF BECKINGHAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 02:40:40.

Location

Statutory Address: WALLS AND TURRETS NORTH WEST, WEST AND SOUTH WEST OF BECKINGHAM HALL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Tolleshunt Major

National Grid Reference: TL 90928 11274

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOLLESHUNT MAJOR CHURCH ROAD TL 91 SW (east side) 3/107 Walls and turrets NW, 30.12.59 W and SW of Beckingham Hall,(formerly listed as Boundary Wall at Beckingham Hall) GV II

Walls and turrets of courtyards, 1543-6. Red and blue bricks in irregular bond. From a point 30 metres NW of Beckingham Hall the wall extends 30 metres to the WSW, then 40 metres to the SSE (this section including a gatehouse, listed separately as item 3/106) and then 37 metres to the WNW to join the SW corner of Beckingham Hall. At the S corner a turret forms one side of a formerly arched gateway (arch missing), and another turret 4 metres to the SSE forms the other side, and the wall continues one metre SSE to meet a C19 agricultural building. Turret at W corner. Height of wall approx. 2.50 metres. Chamfered plinth 0.50 metre wide, main part 0.32 metre wide. Dogtooth course on each side supports projecting courses 0.55 metre wide; inclined bricks form a steep V-coping, the edge finished with tile. Approx. 14 metres ENE of the W turret the wall steps down 5 courses to accommodate to the gradient of the site, with a truncated corbelled pinnacle at this point. Similar feature in the SE length. Diaper pattern in blue flared headers on full length of inside, and outside of SW length only, interrupted by blocked wicket immediately NW of gatehouse. The W angle turret is round and hollow, with a doorway having a 4-centred head to the SE; it rises above the wall with a dogtooth course and projecting courses to a steep pinnacle. The turrets of the S gateway have doorways to the N and NE respectively, with 4-centred heads, dogtooth courses and projecting courses, and tapering crenellated parapets. Built for Stephen Beckingham (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of Essex, 1768, I, 390) and shown in its relationship to the (then) larger house on estate map of 1637 by Samuel Cosin (Essex Record Office, T/M 4/3).

Listing NGR: TL9092811274

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 353211

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 390

End of official listing