CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1121876
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 22:34:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Wetheral
National Grid Reference:
NY 46600 56800

Details

NY 45 NE 6/156

WETHERAL WARWICK Church of St Leonard II* Church. C12, with alterations 1869 by R.J. Withers and 1908-9 by J.H. Martindale. Dressed red sandstone walls, graduated slate roof with decorative ridge tiles and coped gables. Nave of 3 bays with porch, chancel of one bay with semicircular apse. Nave has projecting gabled porch to west with south facing entrance, dated 1908. Nave has battered plinth, with 2 light and single pointed lancets of 1869. Stone corbelled bellcote to west gable. Similar chancel windows with angle buttress having rebus of Prior Thornton of Wetheral, of early C16. Apse has 13 niches between square pilasters with rounded arches, pierced by 3 small round-headed lancets. Chancel roof carried over vestry, projecting from the north wall, dating from 1869. Interior has former tower arch, which Pevsner dates to c1130, having engaged columns of 2 orders, with scallop capitals and rounded moulded arch. Barrel vaulted plank ceiling to nave and chancel, with plastered walls. C19 font and small stone pulpit. Windows have diamond and square leaded panels of coloured glass, with aid-C19 figurature stained glass to west window and apse. Various references are made to the former tower, now demolished. This was a chapel belonging to the Priory of Wetheral and later to the Dean & Chapter of Carlisle. See Pevsner, Buildings of England, (C & W volume) p.198.

Listing NGR: NY4660056800

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
77738
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland, (1967), 198

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].