BLAISDON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1121880

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: BLAISDON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLAISDON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121880 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 07:59:56.

Location

Statutory Address: BLAISDON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean (District Authority)

Parish: Blaisdon

National Grid Reference: SO 69804 16975

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 61 NE BLAISDON BLAISDON VILLAGE

6/12 Blaisdon Hall

II*

Formerly house, now School: 1876, 1907 (datestones), by Waller and Son of Gloucester for Edwin Crawshay (glass in hall window). Of rock-faced squared masonry, with ashlar dressings, moulded plinth and string courses, slate roofs. Jacobean style; large square house with central light well, 2 rear wings with courtyard between; projecting entrance tower on return to right of garden front, conservatory projecting from left return. House 2 storeys with attics, rear wings 1 or 2 storeys. Main facade faces garden; 2 gabled wings with recessed centre, 5 windows wide in all. 2- storeyed canted bays with pierced balustrades to wings, single- storey semi-circular bay in centre. Mullioned and transomed windows; pedimented hoods appear only in main gable. Gables have finials to kneelers and apex: between are 3 ornate dormers. Chimneys have panelled ashlar stalks with projecting cornice. On the right return is the entrance tower, 4 storeys, with corner pilasters to the top two, terminating in a pierced balustrade, and a corner access turret. The datestones are over the third floor windows, on each face. The porte-cochere projects to the right of the tower, with semi-circular headed arches in rusticated masonry, capped with a pierced balustrade, with urns at the corners and a central cartouche on each face. The conservatory is on the left return, three bays with a canted end, rusticated piers, stone mullioned windows with circular tracery, and marginal lights to glazing, above a strapwork cornice, and simple slate roof, but originally with a clerestory. In 1907 extension windows similar to original but gables simpler and moulded string courses replaced with flush ashlar bands. Interior: original moulded ceilings and beams survive in main rooms and stairs, with ornate timber doorcases. Parquet floor in contrasting woods in entrance hall and centre room on garden front, and as margin in dining room. Ornate stone fireplace with original iron grate and decorative glazed tiles in entrance hall. Unpainted stone arches to first floor of staircase, containing windows on one side. Original sliding doors between the main rooms facing garden, far room containing stone fireplace surround with coloured marble inserts: stone fireplace surround also in dining room. Internal courtyard lined with white glazed brick: all windows opening onto it have coloured or obsured glass. Original painted glass survives in upper parts of main ground floor windows; original iron casements and fasteners. Cast iron radiator covers with marble lids in stairs and entrance. Estate purchased 1864 by H. Crawshay, who built church (q.v.), Hall built by his son. Extension 1907 by P. Stubbs, who purchased estate in 1890's. Sold to Salesian Order in 1935 for a school (VCH, Gloucestershire, X, 1972, p.8; Ross Gazette, 22.iv.1875.)

Listing NGR: SO6980416975

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 354080

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972), 8
'Ross Gazette' in 22 April, (1875)

End of official listing