This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WARWICK HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WARWICK HALL

List entry Number: 1121918

Location

WARWICK HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wetheral

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77735

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 45 NE 6/153 1.4.57.

WETHERAL WARWICK Warwick Hall

GII House.1934-1935 by Col.Guy Elwes for Mrs Liddell.Red sandstone ashlar walls,hipped green slate roof with cupola.Two storeys,seven bays,with two storeyed wing of three bays.Three projecting central bays of smooth ashlar with pilaster strips and parapet with open stone balustrades and moulded coping:flanked by slightly recessed bays of rusticated ashlar with smooth pilaster strips.Sash windows with glazing bars,oak panelled door and lead downspouts.Polygonal cupola,has stone columns supporting a large copper dome.Cupola lights hall staircase,which is a circular cantilever with decorative wrought iron balusters and curved moulded wooden handrail.Stone stepped river terrace to east face.Ancient seat of the Warwick family,rebuilt C1794 and C1828 and totally destroyed by fire,30 September 1933.Architect was brother-in-law to Mrs Elwes,the present owner(1983).

Listing NGR: NY4666656950

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 46666 56950

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121918 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:11:05.

End of official listing