LITERARY AND PHILOSOPHICAL SOCIETY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1121954

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: LITERARY AND PHILOSOPHICAL SOCIETY, WESTGATE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITERARY AND PHILOSOPHICAL SOCIETY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121954 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:42:22.

Location

Statutory Address: LITERARY AND PHILOSOPHICAL SOCIETY, WESTGATE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 24813 63925

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2463 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WESTGATE ROAD (south side) 23/591 14.6.54 Literary and Philosophical Society GV II* Private library and society rooms. 1822 by John Green; stone mason John Ions of Gateshead. Sandstone ashlar; roof not visible. Greek revival style. 3 storeys, 3 bays under pediment. Moulded plinths; rusticated ground floor with wide square stone steps to double door recessed behind fluted Ionic columns; Voussoirs to this and to flanking aproned sashes. First-floor sashes in architraves, with cornices, the central bracketed; projecting sills to square second-floor sashes; all windows have glazing bars. Top entablature with triglyphs and guttae. Ends set back and entablature follows. 1885 addition of rear wing at right-angles obscured by Bolbec Hall (q.v.). Interior shows much classical stucco ornament on friezes; wrought-iron balconies and spiral stair to library gallery; low-domed roof lights with glazing bars. Extension at rear with similar-style interior 1888/9 by A.B. Gibson. Sculpture collection includes busts of Bewick 1825 by Bailey, of Rev. Turner 1829 by Bailey; of George Stephenson 1832 by Moore; of Robert Stephenson 1855 by Wyon; and statue of James Losh 1836 by Lough.

Listing NGR: NZ2481363925

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304943

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing