MILLBECK HALL AND ADJOINING BARN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1121974
Date first listed:
03-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
MILLBECK HALL AND ADJOINING BARN

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILLBECK HALL AND ADJOINING BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121974.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 11:21:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILLBECK HALL AND ADJOINING BARN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Underskiddaw
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
NY 25595 26082

Details

NY 22 NE UNDERSKIDDAW MILLBECK

8/119 Millbeck Hall and 3.3.67 adjoining barn

II*

Farmhouse and barn. Dated over rear entrance 1592. Roughcast walls, under graduated greenslate roof with brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays, with contemporary single-bay wing to left rear and 2-bay barn to right of higher roof line, forming overall L-shape. 2- and 3-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows and smaller firewindows on both floors to right. 2 windows are C20 casements in enlarged surrounds. Rear has replacement studded plank door in Tudor-style surround under shaped lintel, dated and inscribed QVORSUM M.W. VIVERE MORI, MORI VIVERE NICHOLAS WILLIAMSON (whither are we going, to live is to die, to die is to live eternally). 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows and similar windows in wing. Left plank door with ramp and steps to loft doorway. Barn has openings with plain reveals and doorways to side and rear. Thought to incorporate the remains of a C15 fortified tower with newel staircase in thickness of the wall, but this is hidden by roughcast. See Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland & Cumberland, by W.M. Taylor, 1892, pp320-323. Birthplace of Sir Joseph Williamson a C17 Secretary of State.

Listing NGR: NY2559526082

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72204
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, M W , Old Manorial Halls of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1892), 320-323

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08982/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roland I. Harries. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].