CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122044

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Apr-1976

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, WHEELER'S HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122044 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 03:16:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, WHEELER'S HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford (District Authority)

Parish: Little Waltham

National Grid Reference: TL 71219 12702

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. LITTLE BADDOW BROOK BILL 5213 Church of St Martin TL 7112 24/334 10.4.67.

II GV 2. A stone and flint rubble church of C12 origin. The nave and south door is C12 and there is a Norman round headed window in the south-west of the nave. The chancel was rebuilt in the C14-C15. The battlemented west tower is early C15 but was much repaired in the C16-C17 when it was partly rebuilt in brick, with corner buttresses with 5 offsets and surmounted by a small cupola with a weather vane bearing the date 1679. The church was much restored in 1883 when the south porch was rebuilt and the organ chamber added. The interior has brasses of Johannes Walthan 1418, Richard Walthan 1426 and John Malthouse 1447. There is also a "dugout" iron bound sycamore chest of the C13-C14. (RCHM 1).

The Church of St Martin Little Waltham Hall Hulmans and The 0ld Rectory form a group.

BROOK HILL

shall be amended to read

WHEELER'S HILL

------------------------------------

1. LITTLE WALTHAM BROOK HILL 5213 Church of St Martin TL 7112 24/334 GV II

2. A stone and flint rubble church of Cl2 origin. The nave and south door is Cl2 and there is a Norman round headed window in the south-west of the nave. The chancel was rebuilt in the C14-C15, The battlemented west tower is early C15 but was much repaired in the Cl6-Cl7 when it was partly rebuilt in brick, with corner buttresses with 5 offsets and surmounted by a small cupola with a weather vane bearing the date 1679. The church was much restored in 1883 when the south porch was `rebuilt and the organ chamber added. The interior has brasses of Johannes Walthan 1418, Richard Walthan 1426 and John Malthouse 1447. There is also a "dugout" iron bound sycamore chest of the C13-C14. (RCHM 1).

The Church of St Martin, Little Waltham Hall, Hulmans and The Old Rectory form a group.

Listing NGR: TL7121912702

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 112827

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

End of official listing