This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BOLLINGTONS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOLLINGTONS

List entry Number: 1122056

Location

BOLLINGTONS, THE VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Waltham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1975

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 112757

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. GREAT WALTHAM THE VILLAGE 5213 (North Side) Bollingtons (formerly listed as house and shop immediately TL 6913 23/190 29.12.52. to east of church)

II* GV

2. Standing to the east of the Church set back in Banbury Square, a late C16 timber-framed and plastered house built on a half H shaped plan occupying a commanding position on the approach to the village from the east. It was altered in the C18 and C19 and considerably restored in the C20. It now has the timber-framing exposed. 2 wings extend on the east front with red brick gable ends, partly rebuilt, and a central 2 storey porch projects on the front. 2 storeys. The windows are mainly C20 restorations, mullioned and transomed casements with lattice leaded lights. There are a number of small original windows on the west front. Roof tiled. The house is remarkable for its 4 tall, original, chimney stacks, each with 2 octagonal shafts with moulded bases and spurred capps. 2 of the stacks rise from the end gables of the projecting wings on the east front and each has a diamond shaped ornamental plaster panel in the base. (RCHM 10).

All the listed buildings in the Village form a group (Dweina and No 1, Elm Cot and Lime Tree Cottage and Almshouses are buildings of local interest).

Listing NGR: TL6960213455

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

National Grid Reference: TL 69602 13454

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:27:00.

End of official listing