This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE INNER GATEHOUSE AT LEEZ PRIORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE INNER GATEHOUSE AT LEEZ PRIORY

List entry Number: 1122138

Location

THE INNER GATEHOUSE AT LEEZ PRIORY, HARTFORD END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Felsted

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 112644

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 71 NW 2/l48A

GREAT AND LITTLE HARTFORD END LEIGHS

The Inner Gatehouse at Leez Priory

GI The major part of the Inner Gatehouse lies within the boundaries of the Parish of Felstead in the District of Uttlesford. A very fine building erected by the first Lord Rich soon after 1536 when the priory of the Augustinian Canons was dissolved and razed to the ground.It is more ornate than the Outer Gatehouse and has octagonal turrets at each corner rising above the parapet and embattled.The turrets are three storeys and the block between the turrets is two storeys.On the east face the turrets are plain except for blue brick diapering and on the west face they are panelled in three stages,each with a trefoiled band at the top.The block between the turrets has a large room on each storey lit by four-light stone mullioned and transomed window on the east and west faces.The south side has four fine octagonal chimney shafts,three of them enriched by moulded brickwork.The two eastern turrets had staircases but only the south one remains,with its original treads.The outer (west) archway is stone dressed and the inner is of brick.The interior has an original fireplace on each storey.In 1909 a certain amount of restoration was carried out by Hughes-Hughes.Leez Priory,The Inner Gatehouse at Leez Priory,Conduit in the Inner Quadrangle,Leez Priory,Two Barns at Leez Priory Farm with the Fishing hut,Leez Priory and the walls to the kitchen garden,Leez Priory (outside the boundary) form a group.

Listing NGR: TL7006718548

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 70067 18548

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122138 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 06:22:36.

End of official listing