This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GRIFFIN INN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GRIFFIN INN

List entry Number: 1122164

Location

THE GRIFFIN INN, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Danbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 112503

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. DANBURY MAIN ROAD 5213 (North Side) DANBURY

The Griffin Inn TL 7705 29/68 29.12.52.

II GV 2. The original house was built soon after 1500 and it became an inn in 1744, known as The Griffin's Head. Prior to this it was known as "Peppers" and was owned by Thomas Emery who bequeathed it to his son Thomas in 1603. Sir Walter Scott stayed here and mentioned the Inn in the introduction to Waverley (1814). A timber-framed and plastered building, now faced in roughcast on the front and weatherboarded on the west side and at the rear, with cross wings at the east and west ends. The timber-framing is exposed on the lst storey of the east cross wing. Considerably altered in the C18 and later. 2 storeys, attics and cellars. The windows are mainly double-hung sashes with glazing bars. There are 2 modern bay windows on the ground storey. Roof tiled, with 2 gabled dormers with 3-light windows in the centre block. The interior has 2 traceried panels of C15 work, probably part of the wood screen of the church thrown out at the Reformation. (RCHM 3).

Nos 58 and 60 and The Griffin Inn with The Chantry and Lingwood Housse form a group.



Listing NGR: TL7793905286

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

National Grid Reference: TL 77939 05286

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122164 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:49:28.

End of official listing