THE WELL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1122190
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1952
Statutory Address:
252A, MAIN ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE WELL HOUSE, 252, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WELL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122190 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 19:56:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
252A, MAIN ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE WELL HOUSE, 252, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Chelmsford (District Authority)
Parish:
Broomfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 70703 10364

Details

1. BROOMFIEID MAIN ROAD 5213 (East Side) BROOMFIEID 29.12.52. No 252 (The Well House). No 252A. TL 7010 25/40

II

A late C16 timber-framed and plastered house with cross wings at the north and south ends, and modern additions at the rear. The north wing is jettied on the 1st storey. The wings are 2 storeys and the centre block is I storey and attics. 3 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars. The south wing has a 3-light window an the ground storey. Roof tiled, with 1 gabled dormer window in the centre block. The interior has exposed ceiling beams and joists. There is an original chimney stack at the south end, with offsets and 2 hexagonal shafts. (RCHM 7).

Listing NGR: TL7070310364

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
112458
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00487/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.W. Garthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].