CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122253

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122253 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:13:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Basildon (District Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ6534388324

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



717/5/54 CHURCH ROAD 04-JUL-55 DUNTON Church of St Mary

II Rebuilt in 1873 by W G Bartleet. Additions to north post-c1995

MATERIALS: Red brick with Bath stone dressings. Red clay tile roofs. Timber-clad bellcote with shingled spire.

PLAN: Nave, lower chancel, south porch, vestry (north), brick extension and conservatory to north.

EXTERIOR: The church was rebuilt in 1873 and the architect incorporated features from various medieval periods, perhaps mirroring the details of the earlier church. Thus the south-east bay of the chancel and that east of the porch have C13-style lancets, the chancel south-west bay a two-light C14 or C15 window under a square head, while the other windows mostly have Decorated flowing tracery of the early C14. The north-west bay of the chancel appears to incorporate Tudor brickwork. At the west end there is a square timber-clad bell-turret with plain, louvred single-light pointed openings. It is covered by a shingled splay-foot spire. Three dormer windows have been inserted on the north side since the building came into secular use.

INTERIOR: The interior has now been subdivided for residential use and the floor substantially raised. However, at the west end the (probably) C15 timbers supporting the belfry survive and include substantial arch braces to a tie-beam.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The C19 pulpit, a plain Gothic Revival piece with pierced tracery panels remains.

HISTORY: The church was converted to residential use c1995. The architect for the 1873 rebuilding, William Gibbs Bartleet (1829-1906), was born in Handsworth (later part of Birmingham) and was articled to a London architect, John Walker until 1850. He then spent some time in an architect's office in Chichester. He was in independent practice by 1860. In 1891 he took his son into partnership.

SOURCES: Bettley, J and Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (2007) 117

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The former Church of St Mary, Church Road, Dunton, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a mid-Victorian rebuilding which, despite conversion to residential use, retains much of its picturesque external character * It incorporates medieval structural timbers at the west end

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 112312

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing