WAKELANDS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1122302
Date first listed:
16-May-1984
Statutory Address:
WAKELANDS FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAKELANDS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122302 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 19:25:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAKELANDS FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Steeple Bumpstead
National Grid Reference:
TL 68184 39187

Details

TL 63 NE STEEPLE BUMPSTEAD Wakelands Farmhouse 4/4 II

Hall house, early C16, altered in C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall aligned approx. N-S, integral service end to S (probably unstoreyed originally), 3-bay parlour/solar crosswing to N, jettied to W. Axial chimney stack inserted in S bay of hall, in 2 stages, before and after 1600. External chimney stack to N of crosswing, early C17. 2 storeys. W elevation (originally the front, now facing into farmyard), plain door, 3 C20 casement windows, 4 plain brackets partly exposed below jetty. First floor, 2 C20 casement windows, of which one is in a gabled dormer. Posts originally jowled, some jowls later cut back. Ground floor of crosswing partitioned in 2 and one bays, binding beam in larger room with double ogee mouldings and converging stops, other plain-chamfered. Inserted floor in N bay of hall, c.1600, transverse beam plain-chamfered with lamb's tongue stop, axial beam unchamfered, joists plastered to soffits. Inserted floor in S (service) bay, C18, axial beam plain-chamfered with plain stops, joists unchamfered. Original rebated floorboards over hall. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in W wallplate. Heavily smoke-blackened rafters in S bay of hall, indicating smoke bay or timber framed chimney before the present brick chimney was inserted. Both roofs rebuilt, originally of crownpost construction, now in clasped purlin form. Central tiebeam of hall severed for doorway. C20 alterations are superficial only.

Listing NGR: TL6818439187

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
114188
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].