This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LITTLE MEADOWEND

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LITTLE MEADOWEND

List entry Number: 1122314

Location

LITTLE MEADOWEND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ridgewell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114114

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 74 SW RIDGEWELL 3/46 Little Meadowend

II*

Lobby-entrance house, c.1600, with later additions. Timber frame, plastered between exposed studding, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays aligned approx. N-S, with chimney stack in second bay from S against E wall, lobby- entrance and stair to W of stack. Stair tower added to E of stack, C17, later converted to 2 small rooms. External chimney stack at N gable, and 2 single- storey extensions beyond. 2 storeys with attics. 6-panel door with top panels glazed, C18. 3 C20 casement windows on ground floor, 4 on first floor. Grouped diagonal shafts on main stack, roof hipped to S. Blocked window with 2 hollow- moulded mullions to rear of S bay, ground floor. Blocked doorway rebated externally to N of stair tower. Evidence of 3 removed oriel windows on first floor. Timber frame exposed internally. Jowled posts, arched braces to tiebeams, arched bracing trenched to inside of heavy studding. In S bay, plain- chamfered axial beam scribed into transverse members, joists of horizontal section plain-chamfered with step stops. In bay to N of stack, plain-chamfered binding beam with lamb's tongue stops, otherwise as in S bay. Original framed stair trap to west of stack, short joists of horizontal section plain-chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, later stair in aperture. Original rebated floorboards throughout, some covered by softwood boards. Grooves for sliding shutters. Large wood-burning hearths. Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in wallplates. Original clasped purlin roof. Original newel stair to attic. Pine cupboard recessed into stack on first floor, with mouldings and carved diamond-shaped panel. C18 pine doors. The 1952 schedule records this building as plastered externally, with 2 C18 dormers. The external plaster was stripped, the dormers removed, some of the windows changed, and internal woodwork stripped, circa 1979.

Listing NGR: TL7470540290

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 74705 40290

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:25:28.

End of official listing