This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CRAIGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CRAIGS

List entry Number: 1122334

Location

CRAIGS, FINCHINGFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stambourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114161

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 73 NW STAMBOURNE FINCHINGFIELD 5/17 ROAD Craigs

II

Lobby-entrance house, c.1600 extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered with some weatherboarding, roof thatched. 4 bays aligned NE-SW, aspect SE, with axial chimney stack in second bay from NE and external stack at SW end. Single- storey extension at each end with shingled hipped roof, C20. Flat-roofed extension to rear of SW end, C20. Single storey with attics. Door at front of thatched gabled porch, french windows, 3 casement windows, all C20. C20 casement window in gabled dormer with fretted bargeboards, C17. Some framing exposed internally. Jowled posts. Arched braces of shallow inclination from posts to wallplates and tiebeams, inside studs. Face-halved and bladed scarfs in wallplates. Axial beams plain-chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, joists of horizontal section. Clasped purlin roof. Central stack of 5cm. bricks. An indenture in the possession of the owner records the sale of the house with 6 acres by Thomas Marsh to John Cragg in 1686, the origin of the present name. RCHM 7.

Listing NGR: TL7151637855

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 71516 37855

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122334 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 04:33:29.

End of official listing