ALL SAINTS CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122533

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: ALL SAINTS CHURCH, GUITHAVON STREET, WITHAM, CM8 1BN

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALL SAINTS CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122533 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:51:16.

Location

Statutory Address: ALL SAINTS CHURCH, GUITHAVON STREET, WITHAM, CM8 1BN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Witham

National Grid Reference: TL 81933 14585

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WITHAM GUITHAVON STREET TL 8114

2/126 All Saints Church II

Church. 1841, by Brown of Norwich. Grey Gault brick and stone dressings, with knapped flint panels and grey slate roof. Cruciform plan, with nave, north and south aisles, Chancel and 2 Transepts. West and south porches. Nave is of 6 bays of tall lancet windows, with drip moulds and head stops. Between each window is a 3 stage buttress. Moulded string below cills. Modillioned eaves, formerly parapetted. Same detailing returns along east and west walls of the transepts. West front has full height decorative porch with central doorway, flanked by 2 windows, with moulded 2 centred arches, on attached columns with moulded bases and capitals. Each arch is summounted by a moulded gable with finial. Above, the west window is of 3 lights with 2 centred arches, drip moulds and head stops. All surmounted by a gable with a finial. Flanking buttresses in 4 stages, are surmounted by octagonal finials with conical caps. North face of porch has a single window matching those to the Nave, and south face has a doorway with moulded 2 centred arch, and small window over. Parapet gables incorporating clocks have been added to north and south. Aisles culminate in parapet gables with moulded trefoil windows above a bracketted string and tall windows matching Nave. Flanking buttresses in 3 stages with gabled caps. Tall gabled and buttressed bell cote. North and south gable ends of transepts have 3 light windows with 2 centred heads drip moulds and head stops, 3 stage flanking buttresses with gabled caps. Late C19 gabled porch added to south transept with 2 centred arch and grey slate roof. Chancel was originally one bay, extended by a further bay, in late C19 and has 3 gables to east end. Central 3 light window, flanked by single light windows, with buttresses between. Moulded string at cill level with grey brick below. Early C20 single storey vestry added to east wall of north transept. Grey brick with one large panel of knapped flint. Parapet wall and moulded string. North door and window have Tudor arches with drip moulds. East window has 2 centred head. (A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840; H Colvin.)

Listing NGR: TL8193314585

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 113626

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

End of official listing