AVENUE HOUSE NEWBURY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1122576

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1950

Statutory Address: AVENUE HOUSE, 4, NEWLAND STREET

Statutory Address: NEWBURY HOUSE, 2, NEWLAND STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of AVENUE HOUSE
NEWBURY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122576 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 16:01:09.

Location

Statutory Address: AVENUE HOUSE, 4, NEWLAND STREET

Statutory Address: NEWBURY HOUSE, 2, NEWLAND STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Witham

National Grid Reference: TL 82260 14769

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1841 NEWLAND STREET (North-West Side) No 2 (Newbury House) No 4 (Avenue House) TL 8214 1/23 1.3.50.

II* GV

2. A mediaeval timber-framed building, probably C16 which was largely rebuilt in the late C16-early C17. The present building, which is partly timber- framed and plastered and partly red brick, was refronted in 1757 in red brick, with a parapet. No 2 (Newbury House) was a later C18 addition. 2 storeys and cellars. 3 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain reveals. The outer window ranges are 3-light. A central 6-panel door with a semi-circular fanlight has a wood doorcase with panelled reveals, pilasters and an open pediment and is approached by stone steps. The front is protected by iron spearhead railings. Roof tiled, hipped at the north-east end. No 4 (Avenue House) is faced in red brick with a parapet and an enriched modillion eaves cornice. 2 storeys and attics. 7 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars (some of thick section), in plain reveals. The centre window; on the 1st storey is blocked. A raised brick band runs between the storeys. A central 6-panel door has a good early C18 doorcase with architraves and a shell hood on carved consoles. The doorway is approached by stone steps and the front is protected by iron spearhead railings. A 2 storey wing with attics extends to the rear with a frontage facing south-west, with a parapet and moulded brick cornice. 4 window range, mostly double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain reveals. There is a C18 rain water head and pipe with the date 1757. The rear elevation has a pair of circa 1600 windows with leaded lights and original fastenings. The interior has a C18 staircase with twisted balusters. Roofs tiled, with 3 flat healed dormers on the south-east front and 1 gabled dormer on the south-west front. RCHM (18).

Nos 2 to 12 (even), Stable to No 4, No 16 (Roslyn Home), Whitehall Cinema, Nos 22 to 26 (even), Wall to the former house "The Grove" and No 3 form a group.

Listing NGR: TL8226014769

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 113525

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

End of official listing