BARNARDISTON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122607

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Feb-1973

Statutory Address: BARNARDISTON, 35, CHIPPINGHILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARNARDISTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122607 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 03:11:53.

Location

Statutory Address: BARNARDISTON, 35, CHIPPINGHILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Witham

National Grid Reference: TL 81784 15245

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1841 CHIPPINGHILL (South Side)

No 35 (Barnardiston) (Formerly listed under Road to Powershall End) TL 8115 3/10 1.3.50.

II GV

A C16-C17 timber-framed and plastered house with a C18 painted brick front with a parapet and a raised brick band. 2 storeys and attics. 7 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in flush cased frames. A rasied brick band- runs between the storeys. A central doorway has a projecting Doric porch with fluted columns, a frieze and cornice. A wing extends to the rear at the west end. Roof tiled, with. 2 hipped dormers on the north front. The interior has some C17 panelling and a beam carved with the initials E C and inscribed ANO DOM 1610. RCHM (16).

No 18 and Smithy, Nos 20 to 30 (even), Parish Church of St Nicholas, The Vicarage, No 35 (Barnardiston), Nos 43 to 55 (odd) and No 2 (White Horse Public House) and Nos 4 and 6 Church Street form a group. Also No 35 (Barnardiston) forms a group with Nos 14 (Recess) and 16 (Braystons).

Listing NGR: TL8178415245

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 113492

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

End of official listing