PERSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122636

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: PERSES

Map

Ordnance survey map of PERSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122636 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 21:29:39.

Location

Statutory Address: PERSES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Great Canfield

National Grid Reference: TL 56566 19309

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 51 NE GREAT CANFIELD

2/6 PERSES

II

Cottage, late C16, extended and altered in C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roof thatched, Originally comprised 2 bays only, storeyed in S bay, open to the roof in N bay, with original brick chimney stack at N end, late C16. Floor inserted in open bay, dormer inserted in W pitch of roof, early C17. Extended to N by one bay, C17. External chimney stack at S end, C19/20. Extension to E of N bay, forming an L plan, C20. Single storey with attics. In S gable end, one french window with 2 casement windows above, all C20. In E extension, door with large fixed lights each side under shallow porch, 3-light casement window, 2 gabled dormers with casements. Some framing exposed internally. In original cottage, jowled storey posts, curved tension bracing trenched inside studs. Inserted axial beam is stop-chamfered. Original floor boards in N bay. The occupation of this site is fully recorded from 1504 to 1823 (Eland, p. 122). Until 1595 it was a holding of 4 acres; from then it became a holding of only 1½ acres burdened with reaping service. This change of status appears to correlate with the building of the 2-bay cottage which forms the earliest part of the present structure. There is a very similar building at The Cottage, Stane Street, Little Canfield, described as recently built in a survey of 1590 (Essex Record office D/DHt M20), and other similar buildings without documentation are known. This transitional type of cottage, with one bay open to the roof but with an original end chimney stack, is of particular interest historically, and seems to occur earlier in Essex than is recognised elsewhere. -

Listing NGR: TL5656619309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352699

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Eland,

End of official listing