This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRIDGE (SITE OF THE SANDOWN GATE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIDGE (SITE OF THE SANDOWN GATE)

List entry Number: 1122658

Location

BRIDGE (SITE OF THE SANDOWN GATE), SANDOWN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sandwich

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 177639

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5275 SANDOWN ROAD

Bridge (site of the Sandown Gate) TR 3358 1/216

II*

2. There is no evidence above ground level now of the mediaeval gate that stood upon this site. It was demolished in 1781, but a painting of it exists in the Guildhall, and mention is made of this gateway, as well as the others, in Sandwich in Boyes History of Sandwich, published in 1793. In front of the gateway and spanning the moat is the bridge,not unlike the bridge in front of the Westgate at Canterbury but constructed of 3 brick arches being of 2 bricks thickness, ie I ft 6 inch rings, the centre arch having a smaller one on either side. There is a buttress forming part of the construction on the south side which bears a number of fractures due to traffic. It is complete with its parapet and dates from the period of about 1650- 1675. The moat at this point is silted up and the piers have almost disappeared beneath made up ground. Some stonework of the town wall was attached to the mediaeval gate and is visible just under the grass.

Listing NGR: TR3347258039

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Boyes, , Boyes History of Sandwich, (1793)

National Grid Reference: TR 33472 58038

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122658 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:42:54.

End of official listing