The Fox Inn

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122699

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Statutory Address: The Fox Inn, The Green, Finchingfield, Braintree, CM7 4JX

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Fox Inn
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 01:01:29.

Location

Statutory Address: The Fox Inn, The Green, Finchingfield, Braintree, CM7 4JX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Finchingfield

National Grid Reference: TL6842932839

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/04/2018

TL 6832 7/46

FINCHINGFIELD THE GREEN (north side) The Fox Inn

(Formerly listed as The Fox Public House previously listed as The Fox Inn)

21.12.67

GV II House, now a public house. Circa 1500, altered in C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Hall house with two crosswings facing south, with axial stack in right bay of hall, external stack on left return wall. C19 rear wing at left end of red brick and flint with slate roof, one storey with attics. C20 single-storey flat roofed extension behind hall. Single-storey extension behind right crosswing.

Two storeys. Two-window range of Gothic Revival casements with moulded labels, C20 splayed bay window and C20 casement above. Two C20 doors. Grouped diagonal shafts behind ridge. Both crosswings were originally jettied, now both underbuilt, and the front wall of the hall rebuilt on the same line. Rear wall raised approximately 1.5 metres in C17/C18 and roof rebuilt as a continuous range. The hearths have been rebuilt at ground floor level. In the left crosswing one original bracket to the jetty is exposed, with curved tension bracing trenched inside close studding. The right crosswing has a chamfered binding beam with step stops, jowled posts, cambered tiebeam with arched braces to it, and crownpost roof with axial braces incorporated in the later main roof. RCHM 24.

Listing NGR: TL6842932839

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115189

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing