This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DOVEHOUSE AT OBOURNE'S FARM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOVEHOUSE AT OBOURNE'S FARM

List entry Number: 1122705

Location

DOVEHOUSE AT OBOURNE'S FARM, HOWE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Finchingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115202

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 63 SE FINCHINGFIELD HOWE STREET (west side)

3/60 Dovehouse at Obourne's Farm

- II

Dovehouse. Late C16. Red brick in English bond. Square plan. Brick plinth with chamfered top approx. 0.5 metre high. High 2-light windows on W, S and E sides, with hollow-moulded jambs, mullion and flat heads (supported by iron bars), with moulded labels. Traces of plaster indicate that the windows were plastered originally. The head of the W window has collapsed. The S window is blocked but apparently intact. No glazing. Doorway on W side, enlarged for use as a stable. At half-height, moulded bricks and tiles form 2 projecting bands of ovolo profile all round, with 2 courses of bricks between, retaining traces of plaster, but pattern obliterated by weathering. No roof. Inside, broken square pegs and pegholes at regular intervals indicate the attachments of the former nestboxes, probably of wood. The roof and lantern were recorded by the RCHM in 1916, no. 41. No associated house remains, and only C19 and C20 farm buildings.

Listing NGR: TL6933234588

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL 69332 34588

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122705 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 10:04:20.

End of official listing