This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD PARSONAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD PARSONAGE

List entry Number: 1122709

Location

THE OLD PARSONAGE, THE PIGHTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Finchingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 6832 FINCHINGFIELD THE PIGHTLE (south side)

7/73 The Old Parsonage 2.5.53 (formerly listed as Parsonage Rouse)

GV II

House. C15, altered in Cl6, C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall facing NW with late C16 axial stack in right bay, 3-bay crosswing at left end with external stack on left return wall, and 2-bay crosswing at right end. Parallel range at rear, C17. Service range to right, with thatched roof. 2 storeys, 3- window range of C20 casements. 6-panel door with top panels glazed. Late C16 bargeboards on left crosswing carved with grotesque beasts. Grouped diagonal shafts. The right crosswing has a chamfered binding beam with step stops, heavy plain joists jointed to it with unrefined soffit tenons, an underbuilt jetty and diamond mortices for unglazed windows, C15. The walls have been raised and the roof rebuilt on the line of the main range in the Cl7. The hall has a C16 inserted floor with chamfered axial and transverse beams, and plain joists of horizontal section jointed to them with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. The walls have been raised and the roof rebuilt in the C17. The left crosswing has a chamfered binding beam with step stops, and it retains the original crownpost roof with axial braces. A notable feature is the stair at the rear of the hall, late C16, rising in 2 straight flights with an intermediate landing, moulded handrail, and 8 chamfered posts with lamb's tongue stops and elaborate moulded square finials. 5 doors of moulded planks on ledges, c.1600. RCHM 17.

Listing NGR: TL6866232686

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL 68662 32686

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122709 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:16:51.

End of official listing