This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1122714



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Finchingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115233

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/91 Rivett's Farmhouse 2.5.53

- II

House. C16, extended in C18 and C19. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays aligned approx. N-S, late C16, probably the crosswing of a hall house of which the remainder has been demolished. Entrance elevation to S. Stair tower with lean-to roof to right of rear bay, c.1600, and C18 extension following the same roof line in front of it. External stack on left side, rebuilt c.1900. Rear stack, and 2-bay extension beyond, c.1600, with C19 external stack at end. Single-storey lean-to extension in right rear angle, C19. Front range 2 storeys with attics, rear range of 2 storeys. One C20 casement on ground floor, first floor and attic floor. Half-glazed door with gabled porch, c1900. The interior of the front range has moulded transverse and axial beams, posts chamfered with lamb's tongue stops and jowls cut to a scroll profile, some exposed close studding, and original floorboards. The rear range has a chamfered beam, plain joists of deep section, an edge-halved and bridled scarf in the left wallplate, plain jowls, and original floorboards. The stair tower has an original newel stair with newel-post of 16-sided section, with turned balusters below the top-rail. There is a moulded 4-plank door on the ground floor and a moulded 3-plank door on the first floor, both c.1600, and a small area of early C17 oak panelling. RCHM 35.

Listing NGR: TL6737536672

Selected Sources

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL 67375 36672


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122714 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:04:31.

End of official listing