THE WINDMILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122733

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Statutory Address: THE WINDMILL, DUCK END

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WINDMILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:56:03.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WINDMILL, DUCK END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Finchingfield

National Grid Reference: TL 68547 32974

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 6832 FINCHINGFIELD DUCK END (east side)

7/38 The Windmill 2.5.53

GV II

Post mill. Early C18. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roundhouse of red brick. A small postmill, brought from elsewhere and erected on a high mill mound before 1840. The roundhouse was added in 1840. Formerly had 4 single-shuttered spring sails revolving anti-clockwise on an all-wooden windshaft (a rare feature, which survives dismantled), driving one pair of stones directly from the brakewheel, with a tail pole to turn it into the wind. Many carved dates inside the structure, of which the earliest is 1753. Belonged to the Spains Hall estate and last worked c.1890. After a period of dereliction it was repaired by the Parish, and again in 1958 by Essex County Council. At time of survey, August 1984, a major programme of restoration by Essex County Council has begun.

Listing NGR: TL6854732974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115181

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing