VALIANT'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122826

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: VALIANT'S FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of VALIANT'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 10:27:36.

Location

Statutory Address: VALIANT'S FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Pebmarsh

National Grid Reference: TL 86318 32936

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PEBMARSH TL 83 SE 4/89 Valiant's Farmhouse - II House. C15, altered in C16. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. One bay and a part of the second bay of a hall formerly of 2 bays, facing NW, with C16 external stack at rear. 2-bay crosswing to left, jettied to the front, with C16 external stack at rear end. Late C16 stair tower at rear, between these stacks C20 single-storey extensions with flat roofs at right and right rear. 2 storeys. 2 C20 casements on ground floor and one on first floor, C20 door. 2 plain brackets below jetty. Roof half-hipped at right end. External chimney stacks plastered. Jowled posts and heavy studding, exposed internally. The crosswing has a chamfered binding beam with step stops, and plain joists of horizontal section jointed to it with unrefined soffit tenons. Chamfered central crownpost with thin axial braces. Shutter grooves for unglazed windows above and below the jetty. Blocked unglazed window in upper left wall, and another below it converted to a C20 window, both with shutter grooves. The surviving part of the hall has an inserted floor, late C16; with all joists of horizontal section chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, supportedon pegged clamps. The hearth of the crosswing has been faced with C20 brick at the sides; the hearth of the hall has been divided into 2 and plastered internally. The stair tower retains the original newel stair, with round newel post and solid treads, a rare survival. (H. Forrester, The Timber Framed Houses of Essex, 1959, 66). RCHM 18.

Listing NGR: TL8631832936

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114887

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Forrester, H , The Timber-framed Houses of Essex, (1959), 66

End of official listing