Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122830

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1962



Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122830 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 21:21:35.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Pebmarsh

National Grid Reference: TL 85324 33481


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PEBMARSH THE STREET TL 83 SE (north side) 4/100 (27/573) The Manor House 1954 21.6.62 GV II House. Circa 1500, extended in late C16 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Main range of 2 bays facing S with axial stack at left end, and 2-bay crosswing at right end, late C16, with C18 stack in right return wall. Stair tower to rear of main block, c.1600, and single-storey lean-to extension. 2-storey extension with internal stack and flat roof to rear of crosswing. 2 storeys. 2-storey splayed bay of C20 casements on crosswing, one-window range of C20 casements on main block, 6-panel door with top panels glazed at front of C20 lean-to porch. Some old pargetting in panels on right return wall. The interior has jowled posts, heavy studding with curved braces trenched inside. The main range has chamfered transverse and axial beams, and plain joists of horizontal section jointed to them with unrefined soffit tenons. 2 unglazed windows in rear wall, the upper one with 3 diamond mullions in situ, now both enclosed in rear extension. The crosswing has exposed plain joists of horizontal section, and a trimmed stair trap, now blocked. The stair tower has an original window with 2 ovolo mullions, and some C17 leaded glass. The crosswing has the original butt-purlin roof, roof of main range rebuilt. (The adjacent property to the W, The Post Office, originated as the service end crosswing of The Manor House, later partitioned off). RCHM 2.

Listing NGR: TL8532433481


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114898

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing