Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122849

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Nov-1984



Ordnance survey map of SECRETARIES FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122849 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 23:46:32.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Bures Hamlet

National Grid Reference: TL 90454 34050


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BURES HAMLET WATER LANE TL 9034 (east side) 5/51 (36/154) Secretaries Farmhouse (formerly 7.8.52 listed as "Secretaries") GV II Water Lane is wrongly shown on the O.S. map as Brook Street. House. C14 with major alterations of the C18, and C19 extensions. Timber framed, facade of red brick in Flemish bond, roughcast elsewhere, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Hall house, probably formerly aisled, facing S. One off-centre axial chimney stack of C16 origin, rebuilt in C18. External chimney stacks at each end, C18. Rear stair tower and closet wing, C18. Rear wings from each end, early C19. Single-storey lean-to extension beyond stair tower, mid C19. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 C19 french windows in original C18 apertures with flat brick arches, central half-glazed door with marginal lights, early C19, in C18 doorcase with reeded pilasters and broken pediment, with geometrical tracery in fanlight. First floor, 2 pairs of C18 sashes of 12 lights, central Venetian window. Band at first floor level. Wooden modillioned eaves cornice returned round side walls. Hipped gablet roof. The ground floor comprises a large central entrance hall and rooms to each side; fully plastered. One asymmetrical transverse beam in entrance hall, one axial beam in right end, both boxed in. The roof of the hall is of crownpost construction, the crownposts missing, the rafters and collars heavily smoke-blackened. Some panels of wattle and daub in roof. The stair has C18 twisted balusters, wide handrail and dado of pine, with minor restoration. The house is shown in perspective in a finely drawn estate map of 1796 by John Kingsbury, in the possession of the owner. The front is shown as at present, except that pairs of sashes occupied the positions of the present french windows, as on the first floor, the fanlight had radial tracery, and there were additional small windows each side of the door whose positions may still be identified as late C18 alterations in the brick facade, removed when the present entrance hall was formed. There was no wing to the right, and the left rear wing was shown as of one storey.

Listing NGR: TL9045434050


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114840

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing