This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1122852



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lamarsh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114846

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LAMARSH TL 83 NE 2/57 Edgar's Farmhouse - II House. Circa 1500, extended c.1600 and in C19 and C20. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roof thatched. 2-bay hall facing SW with late C16 axial chimney stack in left bay, and storeyed service bay beyond. One-bay extension to right, c.1600, with end chimney stack. C20 extension at left end, and lean-to extension to rear of this end, with slate roof. One storey with attics. Plain boarded door at front of tiled gabled porch, C20, 3 C20 casement windows, and 2 more in eyebrow dormers. The interior has jowled posts, heavy studding, the original floor of lodged plain joists in the service bay, and an inserted floor of the late C16 in the hall, with transverse and axial beams chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. The upper part of the rear hall window survives, with 3 3 diamond mullions, now inside the rear extension. Main hearth lined with modern brick. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in rear wallplate. Collar-rafter roof, heavily sooted, with double collar for smoke vent over service end. Some evidence of a smoke bay before the brick chimney was built in late C16.

Listing NGR: TL8947835422

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 89478 35422


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122852 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 11:27:20.

End of official listing