This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

List entry Number: 1122865

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Alphamstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114790

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALPHAMSTONE Parish Church of St TL 83 NE Barnabas 2/1 (25/1) GV I Parish church. C12, altered in C14 and C16, and restored C19. Flint rubble, partly plastered, and red brick, with dressings of limestone, roofed with handmade red clay tiles and slates. S porch and spire timber framed, the latter weatherboarded. Nave C12, W tower added at unknown date and later demolished, chancel rebuilt early C14, and S wall altered C16. N porch C15, S proch of unknown date. Restored in C19 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. The chancel, early C14, is faced on the N and E with dressed flint, C19. E window mainly C19. In the N wall are 3 windows, the 2 eastern mainly C19 except the splays and rear-arches, c.1300. The western window is c.1300, restored, of 2 pointed lights with a quatrefoil in a 2-centred head; it is carried down below a transom to form a low-side, fitted with wrought from grilles and rebated for shutters. In the S wall are 2 windows; the eastern is C19 except the C14 splays and rear-arch; the western is uniform with that opposite except that it retains one original or early shutter, remounted. Between the windows is a C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed arch. The C14 chancel-arch is 2-centred, of 3 chamfered orders; the semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and bases. The roof of the chancel has plain tiebeams and king-posts of the C17. The nave has in the N wall 2 windows; the eastern is early C14, of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded lable and wrought iron grille; the western window is C15, of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a 4-centred head with moulded label. Further W is a blocked C12 round-headed window, visible internally. W of this window is the C13 N doorway, probably reset, with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch. The door is C14, of V-edged boards on ledges, with strap-hinges inscribed with a diaper pattern. There is a pierced scutcheon-plate with drop-handle, probably original, and latch with S-shaped plate handle, C17. The early C14 S arcade is of 3 bays with 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders; the octagonal columns and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and bases. In the W wall is a C19 window, and to either side of it the responds and springers of the demolished tower-arch. The roof of the nave is in 7 cants with rafters, collars and soulaces exposed, C15, and 2 later tiebeams. The S aisle has an early C14 E window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights with reticulated tracery in a 2-centred head. In the S wall are 3 windows, the 2 eastern C14, of 2 trefoiled lights with tracery in a 2-centred head, with wrought iron grilles; the westernmost is C17, with an oak frame and square head. Between the 2 western windows is the early C14 S doorway, with chamfered jambs, 2-centred arch, moulded label and head-stops. The C15 N porch is mainly timber framed, with later dwarf walls of brick. It is built in one bay with a 2-centred outer arch, the sides formerly with moulded mullions, removed, and at the inner end one cambered tiebeam with arch-braces. The roof is of collar- rafter construction. The S porch is irregular, markedly out of line with the S doorway, of plastered rubble repaired with brick, and of unknown date. It has a 4- centred outer archway, weathered bargeboards, with a plain loop with timber lintel in the E wall. The roof is of collar-rafter construction. Fittings. There are 3 bells, the first and third from Bury foundry, c.1500, and inscribed 'Sancte Gorge Ora Pro Nobis' and 'Sancte Maria Ora Pro Nobis': the second is by Austen Bracker, c.1550 inscribed 'In Honore Scaunte Marie'. There is a brass in the floor of the chancel to Margaret Sidey, widow, 1607, inscription only. The font has a square bowl of Purbeck marble, with 5 shallow round-headed panels on each side, late C12, with later stem. The font cover is of oak, domed and panelled, with turned ball-finial with fretted supports, C17. There is C15 glass, re-set, in the side windows of the chancel, fragements of figures, suns and tabernacle work, and C14 glass, re-set, in the SE window of the S aisle, borders of yellow fleurs-de-lys and cups on a black ground. There is an early C14 locker in the N wall of the chancel, with moulded jambs and trefoiled ogee head with finial. In the same wall is a C14 piscina with mutilated moulded and cinquefoiled head, moulded label and octofoiled drain, the jamb-shaft restored, and another with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head, damaged quatrefoiled drain, C13, re-set. In range with the first are 3 sedilia with detached shafts with moulded bases and capitals, moulded and cinquefoiled arches with moulded labels and horizontal string, early C14.

Listing NGR: TL8787835461

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 87878 35461

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:34:53.

End of official listing