This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE READING AND COFFEE ROOMS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE READING AND COFFEE ROOMS

List entry Number: 1122920

Location

THE READING AND COFFEE ROOMS, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Gosfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Oct-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114721

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 72 NE GOSFIELD THE STREET (EAST SIDE) 7/195 The Reading and Coffee Rooms

GV II

Reading and coffee room still used as a Village Hall. Circa 1850-1860 for Samuel Courtauld. Red brick with gault and black brick dressings. Bargeboards, plaster and batten decoration to porch and crosswing gables. Red plain and ornate tiles with red and black ridge tiles and fleur-de-lis tiles over. Left range of one storey with forward gabled porch to right. Two storey right crosswing. 2:1 window range of 3 light casements, those to left with transoms, black and gault segmental pointed arches. Brick rusticated quoins. Rails and muntins to nailed porch door with ornate iron hinges. Stone plaque above door reads "So that you may live". Another stone plaque over ground floor right window reads "Reading and Coffee Room". C20 matching brick single storey entrance porch to left with 6 panel double doors. This building is situated in the village centre and forms part of the complex built for Samuel Courtauld q.v. 7/191. Included for social historical interest.

Listing NGR: TL7829829638

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 78298 29638

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122920 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:33:33.

End of official listing