CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, TOMB OF THE ENGLISH POOR CLARES APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTH WEST TOWER ANGLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122935

Date first listed: 15-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, TOMB OF THE ENGLISH POOR CLARES APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTH WEST TOWER ANGLE, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, TOMB OF THE ENGLISH POOR CLARES APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTH WEST TOWER ANGLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122935 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:21:26.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, TOMB OF THE ENGLISH POOR CLARES APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTH WEST TOWER ANGLE, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Gosfield

National Grid Reference: TL 77746 29386

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 72 NE GOSFIELD CHURCH ROAD 7/153 Church of St. Catherine Tomb of The English Poor Clares approx. 12 metres north west of north west tower angle.

GV II

Tombstone. Early C19. A tall square monument approximately 5 ft. high. The panelled stem has moulded base and top slabs and is surrounded by a pyramid capped rectangular stone. Oval inscribed plaques to west and north faces of the top stone read: Here lie the bodies of the Ladies of the Religious Community established at Gravelines in Flanders under the name of the English Poor Clares in the year 1600 driven from thence by the persecution of the French Revolution in the year 1795 and settled in this village July 27 of the same year. Frances Todd 1797, Ann Worsick 1797, Emelia Keith 1799, Mary Bulstrode 1799, Mary Faulkner 1800. Inscriptions to east and south plaques not legible at time of re-survey.

Listing NGR: TL7774629386

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114665

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing