CHURCH FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1122994

Date first listed: 29-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122994 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 01:19:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Toppesfield

National Grid Reference: TL 73934 37477

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7337 TOPPESFIELD CHURCH LANE, North Side 6/10 Church Farmhouse GV II

Guildhall/church house, c.1500, altered in C16 and C19. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. 4 bays aligned approx. NE- SW, aspect SE. Late C16 axial chimney stack one bay from NE end and C18 internal chimney stack at SW end. Rear stair tower with catslide roof behind main stack, and single-storey extensions with lean-to roofs to each side of it. 2 storeys. Jettied on front elevation, with 2 plain brackets exposed, underbuilt in the SW bay. Plain boarded door, 2 C19 casement windows and one single-hung sash window of 12 lights. First floor, 4 C19 casement windows. The exterior has C18/19 pargetting in panels with moulded borders. The interior has one hollow-moulded doorway with 4-centred head in partition wall of SW bay, a double-ogee moulded axial beam with carved foliate stops, jowled posts, grooves for sliding shutters on both floors, and an edge-halved and bridled scarf in the rear wallplate. The upper floor was originally one undivided space of 4 bays, for public purposes. No access to roof. The pegging of the rear wall indicates that there was a rear wing originally, which accounts for the narrow span, only approx. 5 metres. The position, immediately opposite the church, confirms its original function as a public building. A guild of St. Margaret is recorded in the 1524 Lay Subsidy (PRO, E.179/108/163 m. 6 d). RCHM 8.

Listing NGR: TL7393437477

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114496

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing