THE RED COW PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123006

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1980

Statutory Address: THE RED COW PUBLIC HOUSE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RED COW PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:39:40.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RED COW PUBLIC HOUSE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Ashen

National Grid Reference: TL 74691 42288

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 74 SW ASHEN THE STREET, West Side 1/13 The Red Cow Public House 7.2.80 GV II House, C15, altered in C16 and C20, now a public house. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall aligned N-S, aspect E, with axial chimney stack inserted in S bay in late C16, integral parlour/solar bay to N, and late C16 2-bay crosswing to S. Single-storey extension to N with slated lean-to roof. 2 storeys and single storey with attics. In N crosswing, one C19 casement window on each floor. C19 4-panel door and C20 half-glazed door, 2 early C20 double-hung sash windows each of 8 upper lights and 2 lower lights and one double-hung sash window of 9 lights. First floor, 2 similar early C20 sash windows, and one C20 casement window. Early C20 canopy on 6 posts with red tiled roof. The interior has jowled posts. The middle truss of the hall has semi-octagonal attached shafts, continued by chamfered arch-braces. The inserted floor has an axial beam and joists, all double-ogee moulded, and moulded clamps, independent of the chimney stack. The rear wallplate has an edge-halved and bridled scarf. The front wall only has been raised approx. 1 metre above the original wallplate. The roof of the crosswing is of clasped purlin construction with C17 inserted ceiling, the beam chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. The parlour ceiling is boarded; a section of the same board in the possession of the licensee records that it was done by Alfred Page of Cavendish in October 1899, and gives news of casualties in the Boer War in pencil. RCHM 11.

Listing NGR: TL7469142288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114421

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing