This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LOVINGTON'S FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOVINGTON'S FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1123013

Location

LOVINGTON'S FARMHOUSE, DICKETTS HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Yeldham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Aug-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114434

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 73 NE GREAT YELDHAM DICKETT'S HILL, West Side 4/42 Lovington's Farmhouse 21.6.62 (formerly listed under: II Pool Street (West Side)) House, C16, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Aligned approx. N-S, aspect E, consisting of 2-bay hall range with internal chimney stack at S end, 2-bay crosswing to N, and one bay extension added in late C16, with external chimney stack to rear. Single-storey rear extension, forming a catslide roof, and additional extension to rear of S bay, both C20. 2 storeys and attics. C20 door with tiled lean-to hood, and 3-window range of C20 bays. Grouped diagonal shafts on S chimney stack. The interior has jowled posts, heavy studding, chamfered axial beams, plain joists of horizontal section. The added N bay has lamb's tongue stops on the axial beam. The lower room of this bay is lined throughout with oak panelling, c.1590, with original cockspur hinges on panelled door. There are 2 unglazed windows with diamond mullions in the rear wall, enclosed by the C20 extension. There are re-used medieval rafters in the roof. At the N gable there is an C18 window of 4 lights with original rectangular panes and leading (casement missing), enclosed by external plaster. RCHM 18.

Listing NGR: TL7648536879

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL 76485 36879

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123013 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:29:06.

End of official listing