PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123022

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1962

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123022 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 21:47:52.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Little Yeldham

National Grid Reference: TL 77925 39564

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 73 NE LITTLE YELDHAM CHURCH GREEN, North Side 4/12 Parish Church of St. John 21.6.62 the Baptist GV II*

Parish church, C12/13 and later. Walls of flint and pebble rubble, roof of red clay tiles. Nave C12/13 but W wall rebuilt, probably in 1874, Chancel rebuilt in C15, W belfry C15/16, N porch and S vestry 1891. The Chancel is irregular in plan, wider at the S end, and sharply deflected from the axis of the Nave. The E window is C19. In the N wall there is a window, doorway and 2 arches, all C19. In the S wall is a C15 window, partly restored, of 2 cinquefoiled lights and tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded label. The roof is 7-canted and boarded, C19. The Nave has in the N wall a late C14 window of one wide light with a slightly ogee cinquefoiled head. Further W is a doorway, probably C13, blocked and partly below ground level, with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head which has been converted to a window. In the S wall are 2 windows; the eastern is late C15, partly restored, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a 4-centred head; the western is C19 except the E splay and semi-circular rear-arch, possibly C12. The W splay is cut back square. Between the windows is a doorway of uncertain date with 2-centred head, now plastered. The W wall and window are C19. The roof is of 7 cants, boarded to the soffit, probably medieval. (Hewett, 1982, 119). The W belfry is weatherboarded with C19 pyramidal roof, supported on 4 posts with tiebeams and chamfered arch-braces, with single unchamfered arch-braces against the side walls, C15/16. There is a C14 piscina in the Chancel with chamfered jambs, trefoiled ogee head, recessed spandrels and quatrefoil drain. The font has a C15 octagonal bowl with cusped panels enclosing a molet, roses, blank shields and a 4-leafed flower, with a C19 stem and base. There are 2 bells of Miles Graye, 1674. In the Chancel there are 3 floor slabs in black marble, to Thomas Cracherode, 1701, to Waldegrave Sidey, born 1661 (partly covered by altar table), and to Sarah Cracherode, widow, 1705. At the W end of the Nave against the belfry are the painted arms of George I in a gilt frame. Outside, against the N wall of the Nave there is a stone coffin-lid found during construction of the S porch, coped slab with beaded edge and cross formy with plain scroll arms springing from the middle of the stem, and stepped base, early C13. The architect responsible for the N vestry, chancel screen, S porch and general restoration in 1891 was J.P. Seddon. The floor-slabs to Thomas and Sarah Cracherode refer to the family recorded in an inscription at Red House (q.v.).

Listing NGR: TL7792539564

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114464

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982), 119

End of official listing