OLD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123099

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: OLD HOUSE, 8 AND 10, STONEHAM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123099 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 17:54:42.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD HOUSE, 8 AND 10, STONEHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85011 22663

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL STONEHAM STREET (east side)

9/191 Nos. 8 and 10 (Old 2.5.53 House) (formerly listed as Premises 50 yds north of junction of Church Street and Stoneham Street)

GV II

House. Circa 1500 or earlier and c.1600, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered with exposed framing and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2-bay main range facing SW with stack to rear of left bay, c.1600 and later stack to rear of right bay. 3-bay service crosswing to left, c.1500 or earlier, surviving from former hall house on site of present main range. C17 4-bay single-storey wing to rear of left stack, partly painted brick, partly weatherboarded, and C20 single-storey lean-to extension to rear of right stack. 2 storeys and unlit attic. Ground floor, 3 splayed bays of early C19 sashes of 1+2, 5+10 and 1+2 lights; one C20 sash; and at right end, one original window with 2 ovolo mullions and 3 diamond saddle bars, with C20 rectangular leaded glazing. First floor, 3 early C19 sashes of 10+10 lights. C20 part-glazed door. Full-length jetty with early C19 moulded wooden fascia. Bay posts and (partly replacement) studding exposed at front, plastered and weatherboarded elsewhere. The 4-bay rear wing has on each side one C19 Gothick casement with tracery, and at the rear 2 double Gothick casements with tracery, top-hung. The crosswing has plain joists of horizontal section arranged longitudinally in the front 2 bays, laterally in the rear bay. Mortices and wattle grooves for missing partitions between the 2 front bays, and at the right side. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in left crosswing. Cambered tiebeam with one of 2 chamfered arched braces, and incomplete crownpost roof, originally gabled at the front, altered to a hip to align with the roof of the main range. The main range has chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops and plain joists of vertical section over both storeys. The original window has some red paint, probably original. 2 C20 grate on ground floor, one C17 wood-burning hearth on first floor, disused. At the right end of the ground floor is an original plank and muntin partition of oak, a rare feature meriting special care. Original rebated hardwood floorboards in attic. Butt-purlin roof, re-using many smoke-blackened rafters from a medieval hall, probably from the earlier house on the same site. Formerly The Black Horse Public House and later The Locomotive (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 34, and Essex Record Office, B.2981). RCHM 42.

Listing NGR: TL8501022668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116222

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beaumont, GF , A History of Coggeshall in Essex, (1890), 34

End of official listing