COTTAGE AND COUNTRY GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123141

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: COTTAGE AND COUNTRY GARDENS, 9, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COTTAGE AND COUNTRY GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123141 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:57:26.

Location

Statutory Address: COTTAGE AND COUNTRY GARDENS, 9, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85069 22584

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL EAST STREET (north side)

9/90 No. 9 (Cottage and 31.10.66 Country Gardens) (formerly listed as No. 9 (House and shop) (Seatons Cafe))

GV II

House, now shop and house. Circa 1600, extended in early C17, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range of 2 bays facing S, with stack to rear of left bay. Early C17 2-bay wing to rear of right bay and stack, with external stack at rear right. Minor rear extensions, subject to planning application at tine of survey, May 1987. Ground floor, one late C19 tripartite sash of 2-2-2 lights, and C20 shopfront in early C19 style below shallow full-length jetty; C20 half-glazed door with plain overlight. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 16 lights with crown glass. Roof hipped at right. Weatherboarded dado on part of right return. Rear elevation weatherboarded, with 2 early C19 sashes of 16 and 24 lights respectively, with crown glass, on first floor. Rear door of re-used hardwood floorboards. Underbuilt jetty, in addition to the shallow jetty apparent externally; bressumer missing. Chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, plain joists of vertical section. Wide wood-burning hearth, mantel beam chamfered with lamb's tongue and notch stops. Inserted post in middle of shop. In rear wing, chamfered binding beam on ledged posts, chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue and notch stops, plain joists of vertical section; C19 brick nogging in left wall. Wide wood-burning hearth at rear reduced c.1800. On first floor of main range the framing of the crosswing to the left is exposed, with trenched curved bracing, smoke-blackened from the hall which formerly occupied this site (see item 9/89). C18 inserted hearth with curved back, mantel beam unchamfered because originally covered by fire surround, missing. Over right bay, chamfered axial beam with step stops at one end only, re-used. Roof rebuilt. RCHM 64.

Listing NGR: TL8506922584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116122

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing