SWAN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123143

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: SWAN HOUSE, 29, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWAN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123143 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 14:16:34.

Location

Statutory Address: SWAN HOUSE, 29, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85140 22602

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL EAST STREET (north side)

9/95 No. 29 (Swan House) 31.10.66 (formerly listed with Nos. 25 and 27 as one item)

GV II

House. Late C14, altered in C17, C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2-bay hall facing S, with C19 internal stack at right end. 2-bay parlour/solar crosswing to left, with C18 stack in rear bay, and C19/20 extension to rear. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 4 C19/20 sashes of 16 lights. First floor, one early C19 sash of 12 lights, and one C19/20 sash of 4+8 lights. C20 glazed door in right return. The crosswing stands slightly forward of the hall, having an underbuilt jetty, and has been re-roofed in the C19 on the opposite alignment, connecting with the roof of nos. 25 and 27 to left (item 9/94, q.v.). The hall has display bracing trenched inside the studding at both ends, smoke-blackened. At the right end 2 heavy bay posts (one mainly concealed by the stack) indicate that the former crosswing to the right was of 3 bays (formerly The Swan Inn, demolished). At the left end, peg-holes for former 'high end' bench, original doorway into parlour blocked by C18 stack, some studs removed to make another; cambered tiebeam chamfered with step stops, part of one arched brace to it, the other missing. Front wallplate replaced, rear part of hall demolished. C17 inserted floor comprising a chamfered transverse beam with lamb's tongue stops, plain joists of vertical section. Roof rebuilt in C19, with much re-used timber. In the crosswing most of the joists in the front bay are original, plain and of heavy square section, jointed to the binding beam with central tenons; all the joists of the rear bay removed, leaving the severed tenons. Grooves for sliding shutters in the re-sited jetty plate. Curved braces trenched outside the studding, a blocked unglazed window in the front bay of the upper storey, and an edge-halved and bridled scarf in the left wallplate (all visible from no. 27, item 9/94). The hearth has a rounded back and a chamfered mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops. A moulded beam in the rear extension is introduced, reported to be part of a renovation in 1978 by D.H. Lamprell. Formerly part of The Swan Inn, since 1731 (G.F. Beaumont, A History of Coggeshall in Essex, 1890, 195 and 240).

Listing NGR: TL8514022602

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116127

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beaumont, GF , A History of Coggeshall in Essex, (1890), 195, 240

End of official listing