This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRIDGE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIDGE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1123156

Location

BRIDGE HOUSE, 27, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coggeshall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116057

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL BRIDGE STREET (east side)

9/26 No. 27 (Bridge House)

GV II

House. C18, altered in early C19. Timber framed and plastered, with facade of gault brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Rectangular plan facing W with 2 stacks in each side, and wing to rear right. C19 2-storey lean-to extension to right. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 sashes of 12 lights with stone lintels inscribed to imitate gauged bricks. First floor, 3 sashes of 12 lights with crown glass. Central 6-panel door, 4 panels glazed, with plain overlight in doorcase with panelled jambs and soffit, 2 fluted engaged stone columns and stone architrave with 2 wreaths on frieze; one stone step. Hipped roof. The right lean-to has one late C19 sash of 12 lights with similar lintel on each floor, and a stepped parapet. Cast iron railings at front, returning to house at both ends of main part, with plain bars, floriate terminals, and gate with octagonal gateposts with bud terminals and scrolled rear stays. Stacks of red brick, exposed. Yellow brick extension to rear left. Early C19 sashes to rear of main block and on both sides of rear wing. Central entrance hall with early C19 quarter-turn stair, wreathed moulded mahogany handrail, 2 mahogany stick balusters to each tread, reeded mahogany newel and scrolled tread ends; original mahogany gate at top. Semi-elliptical arch to right. Formerly associated with Little Coggeshall Brewery to rear left (item 9/25). Illustrated by J. Greig in Excursions through Essex, 1818 and recorded in a map of 1832 (Essex Record Office, D/DBs).

Listing NGR: TL8496922413

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Greig, J , Excursions through Essex, (1818)

National Grid Reference: TL 84969 22413

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123156 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 05:21:56.

End of official listing