LONG BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123159

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: LONG BRIDGE, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LONG BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123159 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 00:04:38.

Location

Statutory Address: LONG BRIDGE, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 84942 22359

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL BRIDGE STREET (south end)

9/29 Long Bridge (Stephen's 31.10.66 Bridge) (formerly listed in Birdge Street)

GV II

Road bridge over River Blackwater. C13 origin, much altered in C20. Red brick in English and Flemish bond, with stone coping. Crosses river from N to S; original fabric visible to W, widened in C20 on E side. On the W side there are 3 slightly pointed arches of C13 brickwork, the central arch wider and higher than the others, and 2 cutwaters of brick supporting an iron girder of H-section which supports the modern parapet. On the E side there are 3 round arches of C20 brickwork and 2 concrete buttresses. Each parapet wall has on the inside a bronze plaque embossed 'Essex County Council 1912', and stone copings of triangular section with rounded crest. The SE parapet splays towards Monkwell; the others follow the line of the road; all are of later construction than the bridge. Illustrated by J. Greig in Excursions through Essex, 1818. RCHM (Little Coggeshall) 8.

Listing NGR: TL8494222359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116060

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Greig, J , Excursions through Essex, (1818)

End of official listing