Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123166

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: 75 AND 77, CHURCH STREET


Ordnance survey map of 75 AND 77, CHURCH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123166 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 10:13:42.


Statutory Address: 75 AND 77, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85286 22889


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET (north-west side)

9/50 Nos. 75 and 77 31.10.66 (formerly listed as Tudor Cottage and Cottage adjoining)


House, now 2 houses. C15, altered in C16, extended in C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered with exposed framing, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2-bay hall facing SE, with CL7 axial stack in right bay, and service bay to right. 2 C17 adjacent wings to rear. C20 conservatory to rear right, and C20 extension to rear left. 2 storeys. Divided through the stack, no. 75 to the left, no. 77 to the right. Ground floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 16 lights, and 2 windows of early glazed type with external modern glazing. First floor, one early C19 sash of 4+8 lights, one C20 casement. Crown glass in the sashes. C20 door to no. 75 in left extension, C20 door to no. 77 in main range. Widely spaced original studs, with some later insertions, and original wallplate exposed externally. Above it, wall raised approximately 0.90 metre, with additional sill, jointed and pegged studding, and wallplate, all exposed. In the left return the original widely spaced studding, girt, tiebeam and 2 rafters are exposed, with closer studding and a collar above. Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in original and upper wallplates. In no. 75, diamond mortices and shutter rebate of original hall window in rear wallplate. Early C16 inserted floor comprising chamfered axial beam and chamfered joists of horizontal section jointed to it with unrefined soffit tenons, all with step stops, supported on pegged clamps. Wood-burning hearth with jambs of 0.23 metre brickwork, replacing earlier timber-framed chimney. The floor has been inserted exceptionally early, and the raising of the walls is also exceptionally early, with secondary jowled posts and C16 jointing. The middle tiebeam of this raised construction is missing. In no. 77, similar hearth, and inserted floor comprising plain joists of horizontal section arranged longitudinally on pegged clamps. One panel in the front wall retains an early wall painting, comprising a simple zigzag border top and bottom, with dots in the triangles, of black paint on white; some traces of paint perceptible on the timber. The inserted window has one moulded mullion and 2 diamond saddle bars, c.1560, interrupting the original studs. The rear wing has a chamfered beam with lamb's tongue stops. The roof of the front range retains some C16 lapped boarding to which tiles were formerly attached. RCHM 6 states that the frame had been exposed recently, i.e. c.1922.

Listing NGR: TL8528622889


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116081

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing