BOUNDARY WALL TO SOUTH,EAST AND NORTH EAST OF COLNE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1123234

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: BOUNDARY WALL TO SOUTH,EAST AND NORTH EAST OF COLNE PRIORY, LOWER HOLT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOUNDARY WALL TO SOUTH,EAST AND NORTH EAST OF COLNE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:02:51.

Location

Statutory Address: BOUNDARY WALL TO SOUTH,EAST AND NORTH EAST OF COLNE PRIORY, LOWER HOLT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Earls Colne

National Grid Reference: TL 86548 28807

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8628-8728 EARLS COLNE LOWER HOLT STREET (north side)

9/96 Boundary wall to south, east 21.6.62 and north east of Colne Priory (Formerly listed as Boundary Wall at Colne Priory)

GV II*

Wall. Early C15, repaired in late C16 and mid-C17. Red brick in transitional header bond, with some stretches in English and Flemish bonds. The face along Lower Holt Street has 4 C20 buttresses and a small C19 doorway with 2-centred head. The return at the NE end, adjacent to River House (item 9/97, q.v.) is C17 and later, with dropped sections having C19 iron railings. The return at the SW end, adjacent to Priory Cottage (item 9/l16, q.v.) has original lower work and C20 rebuilding above. This section has a small door of C16 panels with 2-centred head, stepped gable over, and early C15 stone niche above door. Documentary evidence from court rolls that the wall was built originally in 1426 by John Breteman, and John and Henry Dockeman, and repaired between 1583 and 1592, and in mid-C17. RCHM 3.

Listing NGR: TL8654828807

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115944

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing